Client New Site Testing Protocol
From Whirlwind eCommerce Wiki
While testing each of the following, verify each process works as you wish and the content produced during each stage in each process is acceptable.
- Click every link in the top, left and bottom cnav menus. Verify they all go where you wish.
- Verify all banner ads are displaying the correct banners and behaving correctly (rotating timing, linking to correct location).
- In Home page / categories: Click the various links on the children (image, product name, featured category, etc) and verify each link goes where you wish. Do this for every category page, every child in each category. If you have categories that behave differently, be sure to test each potential behavior.
- In Product Lines: use the sorting and paging tools (if applicable), verify they work as you wish. Click the various links on the children (image, name) verify they go where you wish. Do this for every product line page, every child in each product line. If you have product lines that behave differently, be sure to test each potential behavior.
- Perform keyword searches. Verify results are coming up as expected. Do this for varying types of target objects (products, categories, information pages, etc). Do this for as many target items as it takes for you to feel confident that keyword searches are working to your satisfaction. If you have keyword search reports from previous sites, use these for your tests.
- Add an item to the shopping cart, verify it appears as it should - verify price and options selected. Perform a separate complete order for at least one of each 'product type'. Perform separate and complete orders while combining multiple products and having single products in cart.
- Change the quantity of the item in the shopping cart (if bulk pricing is used, change it so it qualifies for a different price) - verify pricing is effected as you wish.
- Enter a promotional code that the order DOES NOT qualify for, verify the system does not take it and the error message is ok.
- Enter a promotional code that the order DOES qualify for, verify it is applied and the resulting message is ok.
- (if applicable) change the shipping options and apply, verify shipping is calculated correctly.
- Continue checkout: checkout at least once for each of the following: while not logged in as a guest; while not logged in, creating an account in the welcome page; while not logged in, logging in on the welcome page; while logged in.
- Enter addresses: checkout at least once for each of the following: entering both addresses independently, electing to copy the billing address to shipping from the billing address form; electing to copy the billing address to shipping from the shipping address form; signing up for the newsletter; not signing up for the newsletter.
- Enter payment: checkout at least once for each of the following: instant credit; credit card entry missing required fields; credit card entry with required fields that are valid.
- Verify all is displaying correctly in review / confirmation page
- Submit the order. Verify order complete page is displaying correctly; verify email is received with correct content.
- Create an account at least once for each scenario you have to create accounts (from links in cnav, from login pages, from the checkout process, etc). Attempt to create accounts while filling and not filling in required fields, verify error messages display to your satisfaction. Verify the account is created and the process continues as you wish (if creating account during checkout process, do you land back in the checkout process after complete? etc.).
- Edit your account login information
- Look up and view previous orders
- Log in to your account at least once for each available log in scenario (from links in cnav, from checkout process, etc). Try logging in with invalid information to test the failure processes and failure content produced. Verify processes continues for each scenario as you wish.
- Retrieve a lost password. Verify the process and content throughout the process is acceptable.
- Verify each custom form looks as it should
- Submit each custom form at least once
- Verify thank you page is acceptable
- (if applicable) Verify received email is correct
- Look up submissions in Administration and verify they are complete and have correct information in correct fields.
Web 2.0: Forums/Commenting
- Verify forums category displays correctly
- Verify forums post listing displays correctly
- Verify forums post can be made, moderated and viewed