Discounts provides a way for site managers to add, edit and delete coupons and automatic discounts. Discounts can be accessed via the 'discounts' link in the administration link list. Note that only administrators and product managers can access the discounts area.
Each discount has benefits and conditions. Any order that fits the discount conditons can qualify to receive the discount, and it's benefits.
The discount listing will show all discounts currently in the system. The listing also provided edit and add links to manage the discounts.
The Discount Management Form
The discount form contains fields to set the discount meta information (info about the discount); Discount benefits and; discount conditions.
- Discount Meta Fields
- Discount Code: each discount must have a unique code, if code entry is required (see discount conditions), this is the 'coupon code' that the buyer must enter to receive the discount. This is also the code that will show in the shopping cart / checkout process along with the discount benefit price.
- Description: The discount description should completely and concisely describe the discount benefit. This information will appear in the shopping cart and checkout process along with the discount code.
- Notes: Internal information about the discount - visible to other site managers, but not visible to web site visitors.
- Discount Benefit Fields
- Percentage Off: The order will benefit from this percentage off the subtotal, or specific products, depending on the percentage application selection.
- Percentage Application: selects if the percentage off applies to the entire order subtitle or to the applicable products based on the 'accept or deny products' option and the products in the relationship window.
- Dollar Off: sets a fixed dollar discount to be applied to the order.
- Free Shipping Option: selects a shipping option that will be free, if this shipping option is selected by the buyer and the order qualifies for the discount.
- Free Product: selects a free product that will be automatically added to the shopping cart if the order qualifies for the discount. The free product will appear in the cart at it's price, and the discount will be presented as a separate line item with a value countering the product price.
- Discount Condition Fields
- Code Entry Required: if selected, the buyer must enter the discount code in order to receive the discount. If not selected, the discount will automatically appear in the shopping cart once the order qualifies for the discount.
- Start Date: The beginning date that the discount will be available. Leave blank and the discount will be available always (until the end date is reached).
- End Date: The ending date that the discount will be available. Leave blank and the discount will always be available (so long as the start date has been passed). Leave both the start and end date blank to make the discount available always.
- Minimum Order Amount: The minimum subtotal the order must meet in order to qualify for the discount. The discount cannot be applied until this minimum amount is met (or if the discount is automatic - a.k.a not requiring code entry - the discount will not automatically appear in the shopping cart until the minimum amount is met).
- Exclusive: select if the discount is one time use. Once the discount is applied to an order, it will automatically be deactivated and made unavailable for anyone else. Use this to provide private discounts to individual customers.
- Mutually Exclusive: select to make the discount not valid with any other discounts. If selected, and any other discounts are in the cart, this discount cannot be added - also if this discount is in the cart, no other discounts can be added.
- Accept or Deny Products: If checked all products will qualify except for the products in the product relationship window. If unchecked then only the products in the product relationship window will qualify. A qualifying product must be in the shopping cart in order for the discount to be applied.
- Products Relationship Window: A list of products that either qualify or disqualify an order from the discount (depending on the selection made in the accept or deny products checkbox). See Relationships Management on how to add and remove items from this window.
To add a discount, select the 'add new discount' link above the Discount Listing. The discount management form will be provided, empty and ready for entry of a new discount. See the discount management form information above for details on how to use this form.
To modify a discount, select the 'edit' link next to the discount in the discount listing. The discount management form will be provided, populated with data for the selected discount. See the discount management form information above for details on how to use this form.
To delete a discount, select the 'edit' link next to the discount in the discount listing. The discount management form will be provided, populated with data for the selected discount. Select the 'delete' button at the bottom of the discount management form to delete the discount.
Tiered discounts are single discount codes that change benefit as conditions change. An example of a tiered discount would be offering $10 off an order for purchasing $100 or more; $25 off for $200 or more and $40 off for $300 or more. The goal of tiered discounting is to push buyers to buy specific items, more items and larger quantities. The visitor enters the discount once and the discount automatically changes benefit as the new condition is met. A tiered discount is created by adding multiple discounts that use the same discount code - setting each discount with the condition and benefit for it's 'tier'. The web site visitor will automatically get the discount tier with the greatest benefit, that they qualify for, applied to their order. As the order changes state, and the qualify for a new discount or disqualify for the current discount, the discount will automatically change to the appropriate tier.