Group management can be accessed via the 'Groups' link in the site administration link list. You must be logged in as a user belonging to the administrator or user management group to have access to this link.
Group management allows administrators and user managers to add and remove user groups at will. Users can be placed in the groups via Users. Groups can be used to give users rights to manage site functions in administration, to give users rights to access secured content, or as a method to categorize or organize users.
Group management comes with the following three system user groups installed:
- Everyone: this is the group that all visitors belong to, weather logged in or not.
- Users: this is the group all users that are logged in belong to.
- Administrators: this group has access to manage any area in site administration, and access any secured page.
The groups listing, located to the left of the group management form, provides links to select any user group for management or to add a new group. Note that system groups (shown with SYS next to the name) are not editable.
Group Management Form
The group management form, located to the right of the groups listing, provides control to create and edit a group's information. The following fields are available in the group management form:
- Group Name: The name of the group that will be visible everywhere searching, sorting, viewing or any management functions associated with groups.
- User Selectable: Makes the group available for the user to select from when managing their account.
- Selected By Default: All new users created will automatically be a member of this group.
- Details: a description of the group - for internal use by group managers - only visible in this form.
Adding a New Group
To add a new group, select the 'add new group' link at the bottom of the groups listing. Refer to the Group Management Form above for details on the fields in the form.
Editing a Group
To edit an existing group, select the group name link from the groups listing - the group form will load with the selected groups information populated in it. Refer to the Group Management Form above for details on the fields in the form. Note that system groups (designated with SYS next to the name) are not editable.
Deleting a Group
To delete a group, first select the group name link from the groups listing - the group form will load with the selected groups information populated in it. At the bottom of the group form is a Delete button - use this button to delete the group.
Assigning Site Management Privileges
To assign site management privileges to a group - first create the group here in group management. After creating the group, go to settings. From settings you can assign the group to have rights to manage users, campaigns, pages and more.
Assigning Secured Content Access (Page Authorization)
Setting up Page Authorization
Secured content control is only available if "Use Page Authorization" is selected in the "Page Management" tab of settings. Once this is activated, all pages by default will not be accessible by anyone (you will want to immediately give the home page and login page access to the 'everyone' group or visitors will not be able to access the site at all).
For a user to have access to a page they must belong to a user group that has been assigned access to a page:
- Assigning a group access to a page: use Pages to look up any page, than in the 'control' tab of any page, use the 'page authorization' area to move the group(s) in question to the 'authorized' box.
- Assigning a user to a group: to make a user a member of a group, use Users to look up any user, than in the 'groups' area of the user management form, move the group(s) in question to the 'member of' box.